Do you have a question or comment about the site?

George Isaac Duke 48046

I have remembered Pte George Isaac Duke 48046 who was in the Northumberland Fusiliers. He died on the 9th April 1917. Named on the Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France. I remembered him as I found a medal with his details on in my fathers possessions. Also with this medal were two napkin rings with the initials J.M. Duke. I have no idea who this man was. All our family came from Somerset although my father spent time recuperating in Northumberland during the 2nd World War after he had a motor cycle accident during his duties as a dispatch rider. Where George came from would be really interesting to know but any info would be good to know

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jane StevensJane Stevens shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard IWM VolunteerRichard IWM Volunteer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Jane,
        A man's regiment doesn't necessarily point to where he was from in the country, especially later in the war when men were often moved about. I've attached another piece of evidence to his page which shows he was also a Somerset man, born in North Curry. By looking at other records either through this site or other genealogy providers (most public libraries have access to ancestry for instance) you should be able to find out a bit more about him, how old he was, who his family were etc. You may be also able to find more details in local newspapers of the day although whether you'll ever be able to find out the precise connection I can't say, we all have a few family mysteries left to solve. Hope that's enough to get you started

Feedback and Knowledge Base