Do you have a question or comment about the site?

Estelle Sylvia Pankhurst

BIRTH JULY 1882 • Barton, Lancashire, United Kingdom
DEATH 27 SEP 1960 • Addis Ababa, Ethiopia

She worked in London's East End. She established a milk distribution centre for babies, many of whom were too ill to digest their food. So she also opened a clinic alongside the centre, staffed by a doctor, who treated patients without charge. Within two weeks of war being declared, as food ran short, Sylvia had also opened the 'Cut Price Restaurant.' Thanks to the superhuman efforts of local builders, tradesmen and families who donated labour, china cutlery and money. It was claimed by locals that many lives were saved. In 1915 they served about 400 meals daily and every day Sylvia joined them.

Sylvia converted a disused pub, the Gunmakers' Arms, into a mother-and-baby drop-in centre called the Mother's Arms. A new toy factory was her answer to the dozens of tiny failing workshops where women were paid a pittance. Toys were no longer being imported from Germany, so Sylvia’s factory employed 59 women to fill the gap. It was a haven for them. First they turned out wooden toys and then dolls: black, white and yellow, followed by stuffed cats, dogs and bears. One day, Sylvia took a taxi full of her wares to Selfridges new store in Oxford Street and cajoled Gordon Selfridge himself to become a stockist. No wonder the East Enders called her 'Our Sylvia.' From http://www.sylviapankhurst.com/her_campaigns/sylvia_east_end.php

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Shepherd shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Lila Luna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really appreciate this post. I’ve been trying everywhere for this! impart goodness I found it on this diary . like this one.Thanks again! I actually have some sensible work expertise with best essay writing service ( https://www.buybestessaysonline.com ) and my words ar clearly supported what I felt through such processes within the past.

Feedback and Knowledge Base