Please suggest Life Stories that you would like to be created or merged

Joseph Morgan Richey RAMC

J M Richey was my great uncle. Born in Cork in 1873, the 1911 census shows him as a general medical practitioner in Rhondda, Pontypridd. The gazette shows he was commissioned as a Lt. in the RAMC 14 August 1915. https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29291/supplement/9053
We believe he served on the hospital ship HMHS Formosa. He survived the war, married in 1920 in Pontypridd and died in 1921.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Richard HumphreysRichard Humphreys shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Gareth EdwardsGareth Edwards commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's interesting that he should have a practice in the Rhondda, as my great-grandfather from Tonypandy, Frederick Morgan, also served on HMHS Formosa as a sailor. I suspect as an officer, as he was a master mariner in the Merchant Navy, although I have no further details. The only evidence I have is a postcard of the Formosa, sent during the war to my mamgu and her sister, in which he describes it as "his ship".

• P J TiptonP J Tipton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This story has now been created. Please visit this page: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/7663234
        As the IWM Volunteer delegated to create this #LifeStory I used his commission in the Gazette as you have suggested, and then added his promotion to Captain as in your second comment. If you have any family details, perhaps including a photograph please add them

Feedback and Knowledge Base