Please suggest Life Stories that you would like to be created or merged

When will we be able to load individuals who do not have a Medal Card?

My grandfather was in the Army (I have photos) and also the Royal Flying Corp. I have been unable to locate a Medal Card and because of this I cannot 'Remember' him.

He does appear on the Royal Air Force Muster records and I have just recently located records for him, under the RAF, in the National Archive.

I am, of course, disappointed that I cannot 'Remember' him and with the site being launced on 12 May would like to know when I will be able to do so?

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    catherinehubbard53catherinehubbard53 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Yvonne FenterYvonne Fenter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is now possible for individuals who are not on Lives (because they weren't included in any of the automatically loaded "seed" record sets) to be loaded manually. Please post specific requests in this forum (as new Suggested Life Stories, rather than comments on this thread).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have one ancestor who's service record I have found and service number and record but as a conscientious objector he never served. I cannot tell his story as the index of names is based on the medal rolls. This ancestor is of course not on the medal rolls. His story is interesting and conscientious objection is included in the possible 'facts' entered against individuals on the site. Can you say when individuals not on the medal rolls can be included in the index of names?

• Project TeamAdminProject Team (Admin, Lives of the First World War) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We will keep you updated as soon as we have a confirmed date for adding additional Life Stories.

Meanwhile, there are many sources of data which we will be adding over the coming months as seed data (last week we added Canadian Attestation Papers, for example). You can see the most up to date list of record sets (including seed data) here: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/a-z-of-record-sets

For those of you who've mentioned that you have medals or family information, if you can post separately in this forum with details of the person you're looking for (for example their name, regiment, service number if you have it) then other members may be able to track them down for you. If not, we will be able to use the information you supply to create a Life Story for them as soon as this function is available.

• Bob CooperBob Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Came to this site expecting to add my Grand Father who joined the Kings Royal Rifles in 1914. I have a copy of his attestation.

Disappointed...

• Nicholas LadeNicholas Lade commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like others who have already commented I am disappointed that despite my Grandfather serving in 2 Army regiments during WW1 and getting wounded in France the day before the Battle of the Somme I am unable to 'Remember' him on this digital memorial since for whatever reason there is no record of a Medal Index Card for him. I realise nearly 70% of WW1 full service records were lost in 1940 but do we know why some of those who served for their country no longer have such a record card? I have a Character Reference form and medals for my Grandfather but your answer to this question gives no idea how long we will have to wait to be able to manually add a Life Story, weeks, months?

• Brian ThompsonBrian Thompson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same trouble with my father who served in the RFC in Ireland for which no medal was issued for service in that area.

Feedback and Knowledge Base