Please suggest Life Stories that you would like to be created or merged

Private Bertram Breeze, #3465, 9th King's Liverpool Regiment

I've already uncovered a Life Story that needs adding!

I have a relative, Bertram Breeze, born in 1894 and died in 1915, but he didn't appear on the medal index cards so I had to do a bit of digging.

He appears on the CWGC data as Private Bertram Breeze, service number 3465, serving with the 9th King's Liverpool Regiment: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/75227999/BREEZE,%20BERTRAM

Based on that information I found his service records, which included address details and family information which make it clear this is definitely the Bertram Breeze I was looking for (of 98 Beacon Road, Everton) and definitely the same man as appears in the CWGC data (son of Mary Ann Breeze, of Everton).

He signed up on 15 January 1915, in Liverpool, and was passed as fit for service by medical officer H Lyle. He gave a total of just 50 days service, and died on 5 March 1915, aged 20. He died in the Victoria Hospital in Blackpool, of pneumonia and heart failure, and clearly caused some consternation amongst officials based on the later correspondence in his files (I imagine they may have worried over how a man who'd apparently been passed as fit for service had died less than three months after signing up). His battalion hadn't even yet left the country, so he must have died while he was still in training - hence the lack of a medal index card.

Finally, his service number, 3465, must have been reused for another soldier (Bertram Harpin, confusingly enough) in the King's Liverpool.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)