Suggested Life Stories

If you have information about an individual who doesn’t currently have a Life Story page, please post details here with as much evidence as possible. Evidence can be images or documents containing details about the person, website links, book references or genealogy records.

Before requesting a new Life Story, please follow these steps:

1. Check to see whether the individual meets the criteria for inclusion in Lives of the First World War: http://support.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/knowledgebase/articles/1164868-who-is-included-in-lives-of-the-first-world-war

2. Search for the individual on Lives of the First World War.

◾Use the SEARCH BOX at the top of every page. Try surname and service number, if appropriate, e.g. “Smith 40348”
◾Try wildcards to match variations, e.g. “W* Tickle” to match “Will,” “William” or “Walter”
◾Middle names are rarely included in full. Try searching without and then narrow down your search.
◾Don’t forget names can be written in many ways. Try looking for variations, e.g. “John”, “Jon”, “Jack”, “Johnny” or “J”
◾The person may have served under a different name, e.g. did a woman serve with her maiden or married name? Did they use a nickname, e.g. ‘Betty’ instead of ‘Bertha’?

If you believe that a person has more than one Life Story page that requires merging, please include the URLs.

IWM Staff and Volunteers aim to deal with your request as soon as possible.

Please suggest Life Stories that you would like to be created or merged

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. The sad legacy of WW1, long after 1918, on soldiers and their families

I would like to add my father's account of how his father, William Garrett, never recovered from the horrors of the Western Front and commited suicide after years of what would now be recognised as Post Truamatic Stress Syndrome. My father, a journalist, wrote about this period in detail, including the terrible discovery of his father's body, at a time when suicide was illegal. My father also described his own decision to join the RAFin 1939 before he got his call-up papers because he never forgave the Army for what happened to his father. I've found two William Garretts but…

35 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      Found Results  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • When will we be able to load individuals who do not have a Medal Card?

My grandfather was in the Army (I have photos) and also the Royal Flying Corp. I have been unable to locate a Medal Card and because of this I cannot 'Remember' him.

He does appear on the Royal Air Force Muster records and I have just recently located records for him, under the RAF, in the National Archive.

I am, of course, disappointed that I cannot 'Remember' him and with the site being launced on 12 May would like to know when I will be able to do so?

22 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        Found Results  ·  8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • JRR Tolkien

Tolkien, author of The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings, was an officer with the Lancashire Fusiliers during the First World War and served on the Somme. Amongst the displays at IWM North there is a revolver that belonged to him - the accompanying record gives details of his service. He doesn't have a Medal Index Card so it would be great to add in his life story manually.

22 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          Found Results  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Edgar Duerr

Edgar Duerr (1881 – 1962) was a fruit preserver for Duerr’s the jam-maker and an inventor in his own right.

Edgar’s inventiveness really came into its own during the First World War. During the Boer War, Duerr’s had sent out tins of jam to the Lancashire Fusiliers, but in the First World War the company completely changed direction and put its expertise into manufacturing to support the country’s war effort.

Edgar invented and patented a collapsible pocket periscope for use by soldiers in the deadly trench warfare. These periscopes were extremely sturdy and were responsible for saving many lives by…

18 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            Found Results  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Pruett Mullens Dennett R.N.A.S. 4792

F.S.L Pruett M Dennett R.N.A.S. 4792 Wrote many letters to his sweetheart Erica Goodman who compiled a manuscript detailing time spent at training and deployment to the front with Naval 8/squadron 208 R.A.F. Many photos as yet unpublished sequence the manuscript and give a full account of the men and aircraft he flew with from 1912-1918. I have spent the last 18 months researching Pruett and now wish to dedicate a page to his bravery as an unsung hero as no medals where ever awarded to this 19 year old boy who flew with some of the most influential flyers…

18 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • ALBERT NEARS

Joined RN 13 Aug 1897, aged 16+; No 194978. As AB, was killed in action at sea 14 Jan 1916 on HMS "Ebro" (v. TNA; ADM1/8453/78). Left wife & 2 small children. Listed by CWGC: Chatham Naval Memorial. I've not found his Medal Card, but I inherited his medals & 'Dead Man's Penny', plus several of his documents.

15 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • TE Lawrence - 'Lawrence of Arabia'

According to the National Archives, Lawrence refused to accept his medals and so he does not have a Medal Index Card - see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3992553.stm

Please could we add his details manually - this IWM website is useful for details on his wartime career: http://archive.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/54/Lawrence/index.htm

14 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • 3536 Gnr Herbert Tedder Royal Field Artillery

My paternal grandfather, Herbert William Tedder joined the Royal Field Artillery as Gunner and was given the service number 3536. He survived the war and later awarded the 1915 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal. Herbert joined the army at the beginning of the First World War as he entered France on 30 May 1915. He was in training for circa 6 months before then so it is likely he joined up during the end of November 1914.Herbert was born on 15 March 1893 at Chobham, Surrey. He was second eldest child and son to Joseph Tedder and Rose…

14 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Sepoy Baghi Shah, Service #435, 127th Baluchis

He was my grandfather who served in the British Indian Army during 1914-19. He died in 1972 and was buried in his hometown, Tirah, in Khyber Agency, Pakistan. He belonged to the Afridi tribe, sub-clan Adamkhel.

The only evidence of his service that the family has got are two medals that were conferred upon him during WW1. He fought against the German army on the French and Belgian fronts. A bullet had hit him on the neck, but he survived and was treated in a London hospital.

12 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Private James McSherry, 7th Royal Scots, 512

My great-grandfather, James McSherry, is one of the c.240 Royal Scots Territorials from 7th Batallion who died in the rail disaster at Quintinshill near Gretna on 22 May 1915.
                      The crash killed many who were heading south and onwards to Gallipoli.
                      The Centenary Commemorations are part of the official WWI commemorations in Scotland, both at Gretna and and Rosebank Cemetery in Edinburgh where the soldiers were interred.
                      As all the troops died within the country, they received no medal of any kind, so there is no medal card and therefore no starting point for the IWM process.
                      http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/416642/McSHERRY,%20JAMES

12 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Staff Serjent Major Walter. John. White

Regiment/Service: Military Police Corps , Military Mounted Police
                        Service No: 301
                        Date of Death: 25/10/1914. 46 years old
                        Death Place: Home
                        DOB +-1879 Salisbury Wiltshire between Apr - May
                        Birth Place: Salisbury
                        Residence: London, S.w.
                        Address - 16 PERRIN RD, TULSE HILL , SW
                        Enlistment Place: Aldershot
                        Grave Reference: Screen Wall. 5. 4649.
                        Cemetery: STREATHAM park cemetery
                        Additional Information: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/400726/WHITE,%20W%20J
                        Battalion: Mounted Branch
                        Regimental Number: 301
                        Type of Casualty: Died
                        Theater of War: Home

Medals 1914 Star, Victory Medal and British war medal
                        other info - married , worked as a animal cruelty inspector ,
                        Wife Maria…

11 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          Found Results  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Unable to find -Jack Lindsay - Born 24.05.1897 & Died 30.08.1972 - Military Cross Nov. 1916

I have prepared a booklet for our family which is in pdf and am happy to share on this site. It includes some typed up letters & post cards Jack wrote from the trenches & as a prisoner of war between the ages of 18 & 20 years during his active duty in World War 1 between 1916 & 1918. The correspondence was written to my grandmother, his teenage sister Helen. I have also included her school diary entries of this time, as a 15 to 17 year old. Helen's diaries cover this same period 1916-1918; document Jacks visits home,…

10 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Ambrose Drew Shaw

WW1 member of the South African Expeditionary force. He served with the South African Heavy Artillery I have his service records and photo. Regimental Number 1769

10 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Agnes May Phillips

My grandmother, Agnes May Phillips was born 29 Mar 1892 Holloway, London but at the time of WW1 was living in Ross-on-Wye. She and her sister filled bombs with TNT at the Rotherwas Munitions Factory. They were told to smoke to combat the TNT fumes. In 1927 Her and husband John Henry James & son John Alan James (my father) immigrated to New Zealand. She had a fulfilling life with three grandchildren and died peacefully age 84.

9 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Missing Life Categories Associated With Royal Navy Ship Crew Lists

Having set up several ‘Communities’ for Royal Navy Ships I note that the following ‘Life Categories’ are missing from ‘Lives of the First World War’

1) Royal Navy Officers

2) Career sailors that joined the service prior to 1899

3) Royal Marine Artillery personnel (RMA)

4) Royal Marine Light Infantry (RMLI)

5) Bandsmen

6) Admiralty Civilians [Canteen Manager, Canteen Assistant/Server, etc.]

7) Royal Navy Reserve personnel

8) Royal Navy Voluntary Reserve personnel

These are the primary reasons why known crew lists cannot be brought into ‘Communities’ in their entirety.

9 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Life of Edith Cavell

Edith Cavell, a nurse, helped save the lives of soldiers from both sides during WW1. She was arrested and executed by the Germans after being accused of helping Allied soldiers escape from Belgium, where she was then based. 12th October is an Anglican Memorial Day for Edith and it would be a fitting memorial if she were remembered on "Lives", too.

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • My Grandad Gilbert Allison (6th October 1856 to 10th October 1934)

... was 61 years old when he was selected to visit the Western Front in March 1918, as part of a Trade Union members’ group. I would like to share his unusual story, together with the many extraordinary documents he brought back and kept for our family to treasure. I believe the objective of this group visit was to feedback British workers’ views on how their efforts were being put to good use on the Front. Obviously this was a move by Whitehall to provide some “good” propaganda!

Gilbert was admitted a Member of the London Branch of “The Amalgamated…

8 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      started  ·  5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • The oldest and youngest serving soldiers

Underage and overage enlistments as a community

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • William Garrett of Farnham Surrey. The museum already has good document about his son Arthur Garrett in North Africa in the second war

William Garrett of Farnham Surrey (My grandfather)survived the war but it wrecked his mental health and he eventually committed sucide. Strangely in spite of this his sons Arthur and Ronald both fought in North Africa and came through apparently unscathed. You already have Arthur's memoirs and these give some info on William. We need a proper record of William if it exists

8 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          started  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Multiple records for one person

Chaplain Roger Bulstrode has 3 entries:

https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/597199

https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5180117

https://beta.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5180116

This is because he has 3 medal cards. Bulstrode is a rare name, and I've been doing a One Name Study on it since the 1970s, so I can tell with absolute certainty that there was only one Roger Bulstrode who was a Chaplain. As you can see from the records, two of the positions held were temporary. Please can you merge these records? I don't want to start adding data to these records yet as i don't want to duplicate the information. I've just added the birth and death dates…

8 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            Found Results  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 151 152
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Suggested Life Stories

Feedback and Knowledge Base